Minimal Stimulation IVF Cycle
Minimal stimulation IVF (Mini IVF) is designed to be used for patients who are concerned about using high doses, or cannot afford the high cost, of the medications routinely used in a standard IVF cycle. Mini IVF cycles use a pill called Clomid and small amounts of injectable medications called gonadotropins. We also limit the laboratory interventions to keep costs to you as low as possible. *Please note that not every patient is a candidate for minimal stimulation and your physician will advise you as to your best path.
Who is a Candidate for Mini IVF?
The ideal patient will be someone who:
- Has a partner or donor who has had a normal semen analysis.
- Has had an examination of the uterus showing that the cavity is normal (saline sonogram or hysterosalphingogram). This can be done in our office or through your primary care provider.
- Has had the infectious disease panel done for both male and female partner and both are negative (this can be done in our office, for an additional fee, or through your primary care provider).
- Has a day 2 or 3 Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) of less than 15.
- Is a direct pay patient (there is no financial advantage to you in doing a Mini IVF cycle if insurance will cover regular IVF). We do not bill carriers for Mini-IVF components
- Can have all monitoring visits performed in our San Francisco office.
What is the Cost of a Mini IVF Cycle?
Please call for details on single and multiple package pricing
What is Included in this Package Price?
- 1 Baseline ultrasound and 1 monitoring ultrasound
- Local anesthetic during egg retrieval
- Egg retrieval procedure
- Egg identification and culture
- Conventional IVF insemination
- Embryo culture and transfer on Day 2 or 3
What is NOT included in this Package Price?
- Medications (both stimulatory and post-transfer support)
- IV anesthesia
- Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI)
- Cryopreservation of embryos not transferred
- Preimplantation Genetics Diagnosis or Screening (PGD/PGS)
- Blastocyst culture
- Additional ultrasounds if needed during stimulation
- New patient visit (initial visit)
All of these procedures may be done for any mini IVF cycle, but the cost of these procedures will be in addition to the cost of the package price.
What are the Advantages to doing a Mini IVF Cycle?
- Stimulatory cycles may be easier for you.
- Reduced risk of ovarian hyperstimulation.
- Less medication used.
What are the Disadvantages to doing a Mini IVF Cycle?
- Lower pregnancy rates. *(thus why many people purchase the multiple cycle plans to obtain the discount and achieve higher success rates)
- Lower likelihood of having embryos to freeze. (not covered under Mini IVF cost)
- Higher likelihood of cancelation due to failure to develop any follicles.
To learn more about a mini IVF cycle please call (415-673-9199) or go online at www.laurelfertility.com to schedule an appointment.